Gomel State Medical University (GSMU)
Gomel State Medical University was founded in 1990 as per Resolution of the Council of Ministers and Order of the Minister of Health of the Belarusian Soviet Socialist Republic. The Gomel State Medical University completely corresponds to the status of a modern higher school and is recognized by the World Health Organization. From the years of its existence, the University has prepared about 6355 doctors. The graduates of the University work in clinics of different cities of the Republic of Belarus, Newly Independent States and Western Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Today, Gomel State Medical University has:
- 200 highly-qualified professors and assistant professors
- 34 departments, 5 profiled research laboratories and 1 central research laboratory;
- 18 large clinics equipped in modern way;
- the clinical base of the University is one of the best in Belarus, with advanced medical technologies on diagnostic and treatment of endocrinological, cardiologic, immunologic, hematologic, ophthalmologic, oncologic and other diseases;
- more than 2000 (including more than 370 overseas) students are taught at 4 faculties of the University;
- the library with rich volume of books and access to Internet, three reading halls is more than suffice for adequate preparation during the educational process;
- modern hostels with comfortable flats, lounges and physical training room;
- computer classes with access to Internet.
For the years of its existence, the University has prepared more than 2000 doctors. Graduates of the University work in clinics of different cities of The Republic of Belarus, Newly Independent States, Western Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Republican Research Center for Radiation Medicine and Human Ecology
The full course at the Medical Faculty lasts for 5 years and 10 months. It consists of
Pre-clinical (2 years)
Clinical (4 years).
The future doctors get professional training in 12 teaching hospitals and in the Regional Diagnostic Center where they have a good possibility to learn modern diagnostic and treatment facilities under the supervision of professors. Our graduates are certified as general practitioners and are awarded the title of Doctor of Medicine.
Gomel Medical University offers a traditional European-style curriculum.
The teaching process includes lectures, seminars, laboratory and practical studies.
A student rating is performed by computer tests and examinations.
During the clinical course the students have the possibility to participate in the whole range of diagnostic and treatment procedures at the teaching hospitals. They take part in teaching rounds, examination of patients, clinical demonstrations, taking case history, case conferences, etc. An important and integral part of the education is the supervised hospital practice of the students.
- After entering the University you will have to undergo a long way in the vast field of knowledge, to study numerous disciplines, to pass a great number of credit tests and examinations. At present the curriculum includes more than 70 subjects, including additional optional training courses taught by 54 departments of the University. The training period at the faculty is expected to last 6 years. You will be trained in the specialty called “General Medicine”
- During the first two years of study the students master the subjects of medical-biological sciences, the fundamentals of humanities and social disciplines. The main subjects for students of the faculty are Normal Anatomy and Histology, Cytology and Embryology. The third year is aimed at mastering general professional disciplines.
Students group in IM propaedeutic class
- The first two years of study develop the basis of theoretical knowledge in the specialty and applied knowledge of biology and medicine. The 4th, 5th and 6th years are devoted to acquiring the basis of theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the chosen field of medicine. The students are trained at clinical bases of the University including 21 institutions: the best city multi-profile hospitals and polyclinics, specialized therapeutic-diagnostic centers, dispensaries, maternity homes and other health care institutions. They listen to the lectures of leading specialists; under the guidance of experienced teachers they study internal and surgical diseases, obstetrics and gynecology, infectious diseases, Dermatovenerology, oncology, neurology and neurosurgery, traumatology and orthopedics and many other disciplines. In the process of teaching independent work of students with patients, mastering skills of clinical examination, interpretation of laboratory data and special investigation methods are of primary concern.
- Starting with the 3rd year, the students of the Faculty of General Medicine begin every summer with clinical practice where future doctors have an opportunity to apply the acquired knowledge in clinic. Completing 3 years the students of the Faculty undergo nursing practice, finishing 4 years – medical out-patient clinical training and after the 5th year – medical clinical practice. Students have an opportunity to take an active part in medical and diagnostic processes and gain experience from the teachers.
2nd year students’ group in Physiology Practical Class, with Asst. Prof. Melnik V.A.
Students interested in research have promising opportunities. During the period of education, already from the first year, students have an opportunity to join the students’ scientific society both at theoretical and clinical departments, to speak at meetings with reports. Especially diligent students prepare extended scientific presentations which are presented at BSMU annual students’ scientific conferences. Upon graduation the students who make excellent progress in the study and scientific work are offered the possibility to continue scientific research at BSMU and other leading scientific centres of the Republic of Belarus. The country leaders pay special attention to support and help of talented and gifted young people developing their potential and contributing to their future career. The students who have reached significant results in study, research work and socially useful activity are included in the Databank of gifted youth which allows the graduate not only to apply to prestigious workplaces, but also to get additional financial support from the state.
Students in Anatomy classes
TUITION FEES AND CHARGES FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-21
COURSE DURATION- 5 YEARS 10 MONTHS CONSTITUTING 12 SEMESTERS
TUITION FEE: 4370 USD PER YEAR SEMESTER FEE: 2185 USD
MEDICAL INSURANCE: 200 USD PER YEAR
MEDICAL CHECKUP: 60-70 USD PER YEAR
REGISTRATION: 50-60 USD PER YEAR
HOSTEL: 50-60 USD PER MONTH
LIVING EXPENSES: 150-200 USD PER MONTH (DEPEND UPON STUDENTS)
(including food, transport expenses etc.)
- Despite difficulties in study the years at the University is the most remarkable period in the life of young people. Each student can try sports, amateur performances; become the author and the correspondent of the University newspaper. The national amateur group ‘Panatseya’ has been working at the faculty for more than three decades. The students’ club of the University welcomes all talented students. The administration of the University and the dean’s office pay much attention to students’ life. In 2011 the students of the general medicine faculty were granted the modern building of Hostel no. 10.
- The 6th year students finish their sub internship, a peculiar preclinical training in four main branches of the specialty «General Medicine»: therapy, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Anaesthesiology and Intensive care.
- The training process finishes with the state exams in Therapy, Surgery, Obstetrics and Public Health. Having passed the final exams the graduate obtains the diploma and qualification of a ‘general practitioner’. Diploma award procedure annually takes place in a festive atmosphere in the assembly hall of the University.